Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Carlo Verda - Jewelry Gallery

hanuman Carlo-verda.com
Bridlington, UK

Fun, passion and experience :slight_smile:

For me craftsmanship is a blending of skill, ideas and materials and the work that you see on these pages is the result of 30 years of this blending. But that’s jumping the gun a bit, so how did I end up being a craftsman! I’ve heard other people talk about their inspiration, that light bulb moment, the door that just unexpectedly opens in front of them.

For me this was when I was eighteen, the college prospectus fallen open at the jewellery and silversmith page. By the time I’d read the course prospectus and visited the department I was utterly convinced, “that’s what I’m going to be”, and I was right! That light bulb still burns brightly for me.

I don’t think I’d ever thought about jewellery, at all, in any context up until that moment. Jewellery design and silversmithing seemed to occupy a much more comfortable space between Art, which I enjoyed but could never really pin down, and technical drawing which I was good at, but found it just to tight and organised, which is just not me! Jewellery now allows me to draw evenly from both disciplines, and of course allows me to use lots of tools.

I’ve never been one to produce seasonal ranges much preferring my designs to evolve within their own time frame, this has had the added benefit of allowing customers to build up collections or, even after a few years, to be able to commission a new pieces knowing that the same technical skills and design language is being used.

During one of the summer break at university in London I worked as an archaeologist at a dig in the east end of London, we went from car park down to flint tools in just a few week, this rapid plunge though time, shapes, textures and materials have provided me with the visual themes that I use in my work to this day.

It has taken 30 years to accumulate and then to distil the visual and technical skills needed to be able to create works which almost seem to form themselves on the workbench in front of me.

Texture and a clean lines, precious and non precious materials I’ve always enjoyed the juxtaposition of contradictory ideas and themes, exploring the dividing line between them has created many interesting new designs. Now, having lived by the sea and walked its shore line for the last 10 years, fossils, glacial deposits, remnants of ww2 shore defences as well as the more contemporary defences against the new enemy “coastal erosion” all present new ideas and materials with which to explore these dividing lines.

Materials: Silver and a pebble from the beach
Dimensions: 2.5 - 5cm

Essence of beach hut :slight_smile:

Clock solid

Materials: Silver and ceramic
Dimensions: 3cm-7cm

Designed as a present for my wife, she found the sea tumbled ceramic