Can anyone tell me what the name of this stone is

Hard to tell. Could be Tiger Eye cut at an odd angle…Rob

Cacoxenite

Thanks! Looks a lot more like Cacoxenite than Tiger Eye…Rob

Thanks Rob

Silver Cloud Designs Jewelry

That was Keith Ludemann’s help not mine, I was just thanking him for it…Rob

Resending as apparently my first attempt failed to be posted on orchid…

It’s hard to tell from that pic, but it might be Nellite, from Africa. I believe it’s mined near the Pietersite deposits, and resembles it a little. Blue and gold are common color combinations in Nellite, the gold parts being chatoyant.

But if it is cacoxinite, I’d say cacoxinite in amethyst from Brazil.

Cheers,

• Lorraine

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.”
-Theodore Parker

1 Like

Resending as apparently my first attempt failed to be posted on orchid…

It’s hard to tell from that pic, but it might be Nellite, from Africa. I believe it’s mined near the Pietersite deposits, and resembles it a little. Blue and gold are common color combinations in Nellite, the gold parts being chatoyant.

But if it is cacoxinite, I’d say cacoxinite in amethyst from Brazil.

Cheers,

• Lorraine

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.”
-Theodore Parker

Sorry I misunderstood, Rob

Googling images of Cacoxenite in amethyst, I’d say that’s exactly what the poster’s stone is. There are some beautiful cabochons exhibiting exactly those triangular shards of chatoyant “gold” in a purple ground.

Helen Hill
UK

1 Like

Thank you all for this information. My customers always want to know what the stones are and the Cacoxenite is one I’d never heard of before. Thanks

This is a stone I got today before I read this question. Serendipity I think. It is cacoxenite in amethyst.

1 Like

go to mindat.org. for mineralogic information

cacoxenite is an uncommon secondary mineral found in pegmatites and hydrothermal iron deposits, and phosphatic magnetite deposits… it’s an Fe3+/Al hydrated phosphate.
(as an aside, magnetite liquid immiscibility deposits, where magnetite separates out of magma, can host large clear crystals of apatite, due to the high phosphate content)
Nellite/Pietersite is an oxidized amphibole, altered to limonite, embedded in chalcedony.
Tiger’s eye also contains altered amphibole… the blue form is asbestiform sodic amphibole.