CAD design

If I wanted to ask a CAD/Rhino jewelry designer to create a custom ring, what dimensions does he/she need besides the ring size to create an accurate rendering? Any info is helpful! Thanks!

Hi Laura,

The more information the better! For my contracting work I ask clients for a detailed technical drawing of all components, this includes stone sizes, prong specificities, thicknesses of all components, height from the ring size rail to top of center stone, if there’s gallery work - dimensions for negative space, if you know your setters tolerances for removal of metal on bezel and prong setting definitely include that information. The more the merrier really! Otherwise, I will fill in the gaps with the tolerances I know to be used by own production houses. I’ve gotten anywhere from a napkin sketch to a master draft, both work just fine but one requires more labor on my end. The more precise your detailing is in the tech packet the less labor you’ll pay for your cad developer. I hope this helps, feel free to reach out with any questions!

Best,

Daniel Wisner

@daniel.wisner

1 Like

One of the most important piece of information is for him to know the “exact” dimensions of the diamonds, or the genuine-stones!
The next would be do you want a ‘comfort-fit’ for the inside of the mount!

If you think that these questions aren’t important? It’s like asking an auto-designer to make a car, but not giving him any further information…:wink:

Have fun!

”gerrysdiamondsettingessays.blogspot.com”

Gerry, on my iPhone

1 Like

Oh yes, that’s crucial! Exact measurements for sure! If the stone isn’t calibrated you can have it scanned, some CAD companies have scanners in house as well.

Best,

Daniel Wisner

@daniel.wisner

1 Like

thanks so much, Daniel! Very helpful!

hahaha true that on the analogy. Thanks very much!

lauraleepodmore

February 6

hahaha true that on the analogy. Thanks very much!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by:

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

One word to describe this sparkling creation…“Beautiful”

”gerrysdiamondsettingessays.blogspot.com”

Gerry, on my iPhone

CAD work with superiority

Hello! So when we are creating a custom design, we have everything laid out for the CAD modeler in a document.

Metal type
Finish
Band shape
Band width
Ring size
Setting type
Setting info- where we put all descriptions of stones including sizes/dimensions, type, etc.
Specify if it is comfort fit
Specify if the ring needs to be done flush fit
Sketch with top view, side view, through finger hole view

And then any applicable notes. Hope this helped!