Bezels and a patterned sheet

Yellow ocher does the same thing without the hideous chemicals that are in white-out, which isn’t supposed to be heated.

Two kinds of White Out, fast drying solvent based and an environmentally friendly water based formula that I have never had fumes from when heating. I like it much better than the iron based yellow ocher.

1 Like

I also have trouble steadying the flexshaft and have been trying to find a solution for the same situation. I did some practicing on a scrap of the patterned sheet but have not been able to run an even channel. I hadn’t thought to use a manual tool to start the channel but I think this will solve my problem too. Thank you for the great tip!

did you trace the inside or the outside of the bezel? does the bezel sit in the channel? then you solder from the top?

Here’s another tip to control the bur. Go a small distance at a time…maybe one mil, then another mil. Don’t press hard, let the bur do the work. When you have completed the shallow trench, go back again with the same technique. If you try to run the bur along the line, you will lose control. You can always control one mil. Good luck.

2 Likes

Hi Vera,
I’m In lockdown at home and finally catching up with a few things, like unanswered emails! I truly apologize for not responding back to you in a timely fashion, but your advice is deeply appreciated! I have a tendency to jump in over my head and (as you probably suspected) I was picturing cutting a channel all in one go! You stopped me from another lesson learned the hard way! I found a few misc. burs in my shop and did some practicing. Now I’m doing researching the world of burs, but with so many choices, and my lack of experience, it’s a bit daunting. Is there any one shape and size that works best for this? Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom.
Sincere apologies for my tardy response!
Renee

I like ball burs for this and lots of other things. The top (or bottom, depending on the point of view) of the bur is very inefficient at cutting. The sides of the ball bur are the most efficient. So try to position the flexshaft so the side of the bur is doing the work.

1 Like

Hi Vera,
I admit that I wasn’t expecting a ball bur, but I did some experimenting with the only one I have and was surprised at how versatile it really is. Thank you so much for your help!
Blessings, Renee