Beware new Rio paste solder syringes

I just got a new batch of paste solder from Rio and wanted to give anyone else a heads up… these syringes suck. I’ve never had this problem with the old style. Basically you barely touch the plunger, and instead of getting the tiny dab you want, it won’t stop! Even if I pull the plunger back, at least an inch just keeps coming out no matter what I do. So now to try to prevent it from going to waste I’m trying to apply it with a toothpick… completely obnoxious and a lot is going to end up wasted anyway. I’ve emailed Rio, but wanted to let others know. Ugh🤬

Also yes I’m aware of the drawbacks of paste solder, but for some very specific applications it’s the best option for me. If it’s not for you great, you won’t have to deal with this particular annoyance.

I had the same outcome with mine too. Very messy and wasteful so I just gave up using the plunger and dig it out with my solder pick and then put the plunger back in.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Carol

I need to call them. I emailed them back when I first had the issue and posted that, and they never responded. Maybe now that I’ve got a pro account they’ll pay attention. :roll_eyes:

Thanks for the “heads up”. We’ve seen this too to a certain extent. Not perfect but great for hollow, or worn chains, some gold filled. We’ve had pretty good success from Stuller.

It likely has to do with the viscosity of the paste solder and not so much the syringe. If they don’t have a tight enough specification for the the viscosity, it could vary and cause dispensing discrepancies. I too don’t rely on the syringe, but usually use a toothpick to get the paste where I want it. I have also started diluting it with more flux to get a thinner layer for certain applications and I like how this has been working. Good luck!
Bernie

2 Likes