Bench Shears

Nice find, tho what does it weigh? if iron, ie heavy yes, will cut thin metal, but light? as in ali or die cast metal, maybe for card or photos only.
Any makers name or other id marks. A no is on the moving arm, cant read that.
Ted…

It’s really heavy cast iron with heavy steel blades and linkage. It can cut up to 24 gauge mild steel and it cuts 20 ga silver like butter. No name on it that I can find but it’s very well made.

Then it IS a shear for metal.
Very, very good!.
Ted.

With the addition of the new shear, I decided to build another bench…Rob

3 Likes

Rob,
I know that this is from several years ago, but do you still like your Woodward Fab Throatless Shear after all these years of use or would you have been better off spending more and purchasing a Beverly Shear or a Guillotine Shear? I’m needing a larger shear to straight cut sheet (mostly Silver, Copper and Brass), but having a shear that can also cut curves would be nice too… Any thoughts or advice? Thank You!
Jonathan

For the price, I am very happy with it. I can cut straight, but you have to fudge a bit as the piece gets pulled through as you go. It doesn’t cut an absolutely straight line like a guillotine. The edge will need a little clean up when you are done, but you will likely have to do this regardless of what you use to cut it. I use it a lot to trim to a line that I will go back and refine with a file or abrasive wheel. It is especially useful for trimming the back plate around a bezel after you solder them together. I would love to have a Beverly, but they are very expensive. Woodward has Beverly knockoff as do others. Hope this helps. Good luck…Rob

1 Like

Rob,
Thank You! I appreciate it! I too would love to have a Beverly Shear, been wanting one for several years now and have looked for a nice used one, but to no avail yet. Maybe I’ll just start saving my pennies up and buy a new one, I paid close to $2,000.00 for my Durston C150 Rolling Mill a while back, so another $750.00-$1,000.00 for a Beverly Sear doesn’t sound quite as bad… Always another expensive tool to wish for for years and years and then finally give-in to temptation and buy! Thanks again!
Jonathan

1 Like