Baroque Brilliance (My Finest Creation To Date)

Late edit: I just realized I put 22ct for the stone. It’s an 8.88ct. My mistake!

Hi Austin, I don’t have any shallow cut stones to show you but I did find one on the web.

Not that I think this stone is better just as an example of how additional facets on the crown can lessen the window produced by a shallow pavillion as well as reflecting light off of the facets giving it a lot of “flash”
Take a look at the facets (triangles) at the top, you will note that the tips just touch the other tips, they aren’t cut into another nor are they short leaving a line or ridge.
Take a look at John Dyers webpage The Importance of Good Gemstone Cutting : John Dyer/Precious Gemstones Co. he explains it well.
Please don’t think I am belittling your work, you have every right to be proud.
I would just like to have seen the gem cutter put as much effort into his job as you did with the setting.
At 8.8 carats you might consider (for future work) what arkaysilversmith suggests to bring the stone up allowing enough room to use a stone cut above critical angle and have maximum light return and brilliance.
What is important and the only thing that truly matters is that she loves the ring, don’t change it over someone else’s opinion. Jewelry is very subjective as long as the buyer/your lady is happy you did good.
Now get back to the bench and start on the next finest creation.
Jim

2 Likes

design is gorgeous! but i don’t like seeing her finger so clearly. these stone cutters must be on to something…i appreciate the opportunity to see this discusssion

I had to say something. I absolutely love this, most every ring I make someone says they like it but it a bit to much for them. I personally like my rings over the top. I love to see creators go so called over the top. Why not I say. You did a fabulous job!

2 Likes

I am absolutely overjoyed to hear this. Thank you so much!

How did you get such a wonderful black?

1 Like

Just sterling silver hit with a 6in steel wire buff on the ring, then rouge one the prongs! After that, I just submerged it all in hydrochloric acid and tellurium!

Durable?

Please excuse any typos-- curse my clumsy digits…

It’s very, very durable, but of course, the quartz is soft.

Oops. I meant the black. I think that your chemicals are basically what’s in Jax or Winox… but I wonder how that finish wears…

Please excuse any typos-- curse my clumsy digits…

It’ll last a few months depending on wear, of course. The finish is easily reapplied.

The huge window in the stone is not because of poor cutting. This is because the type of cut. This stone has no pavilion as a typical faceted stone has. Instead the back is flat like a cab. In fact I would call this a cab with a faceted top or crown. A stone of this type will always have a huge window. But on the positive side, a stone of this type allows you to mount a large stone in a ring without it standing up too tall off the finger.
So, don’t criticize the window in the stone. There is plenty of room for criticism of the poor meets of the facets.

1 Like

Was this piece hand carved wax or CAD?
Jo

Nice job Austin!

I work with another CAD program from Gemvision Matrix9 but like the results you got with CounterSketch. Please feel free to send me any models that you are unable get desired results with CS and I will see if I can help. I aslo use Zbrush Core to get more organic results.

Cheers
Franz

Hi Austin!
Can I post this on my Instagram page, @indigemshow?
Love the ring!

Cheers,
Rachel

I absolutely love :two_hearts: this style. Great statement piece! Thanks for sharing this

Light never enters from under the stone.

This is pretty much only true of perfectly cut diamonds. If a diamond is perfectly cut then all light from the front is returned out the front, and if there is any light from the back its impact on the stone’s brilliance is negligible.
But colored stones are cut to maximize color, not brilliance. In colored stones you cannot count on all the light from the front being returned out the front. With a darker stone a little light from the back may help lighten the color. Conversely, with a stone of too light color one may want to make sure the back is closed off.
But you are right that as a general rule one oughtn’t to plan on light from the back helping the brilliance of the stone.

1 Like

I would be very curious as to the source of this light you are talking about. A stone in a mounting, sitting on a finger, for example, where does that light originate from to illuminate the back of a stone. I’ve never seen that source of light under a stone, sitting in a ring on the finger.

Al Gilbertson from the GIA has written serval articles on colored gem stones and the values that factor into their quality. The third article is about Colored Stone Darkness & Brightness . This should give a better understanding of what is happening with gems and cutting. He has also has studied and written about diamonds; and that material would give one a better understanding of what is happening with diamonds.

My feelings about this idea; that light comes into the back of the stone when it’s mounted is like many sayings in the jewelry business, an old tale that has no truth, but because it’s been repeated so many times people believe it, even by people that should know better. There are a couple of good reasons to leave openings under stones; to clean the stones and to hold down the cost of the piece.s

Old thread, I know but it popped up and I think the ring is a stunner, especially for a beginner piece. There’s so much interesting information to learn through the thread about what characteristics are important in stones and why, and why this one doesn’t meet those expectations… but speaking as someone who puts barbecue sauce in my Kraft Dinner, “technically ideal” and “pleasing to the end consumer” are completely separate and sometimes unrelated metrics. The things that are “wrong” about the stone also make it unusual, and that’s eye-catching. I’d be interested to hear how the ring has stood up to wear since. Assuming everything is okay structurally, I know I’d count it a success if it came off my bench.