Annual Tucson Orchid Dinner Meetup 2017

We are currently a party of ten, with Seth Rosen and Rodney Brown possibly bringing our current number to 10.

I expect that others will want to join our group as the date gets closer, so I will need to contact the restaurant to expand our reservation. Please drop us a note, or send me an email if you would like me to add a seat or two.

I am looking forward to some interesting conversations and seeing you all soon,

-Kim-

Hello Kim,
Please add myself and hubbie to the dinner party. Iā€™ve put the name of the restaurant in my phone - any chance of getting a street address??
Thanks, Judy in Kansas

Duh. Iā€™ve got the address off their website. My bad.
Judy in Kansas

Please add me and my husband as well.
Thank you,
Melissa Stenstrom

ā€œArt a lie that tells the truth.ā€ - Pablo Picasso

What night is the dinner? what restaurant?
Sam Patania

Just checked my calendar, long drive for one very coveted Dinner. Sadly I will pass this year, plans did not gel.
I love my Orchid friends and so much do want to keep things going.
Perhaps for next year we can preplan, reach out to some on the fence, and get a good one going.
I would be happy to help in that planning.
Hugs
Terrie

Thanks for the notice. I have you two down for joining the conversations. I look forward to meeting you.

Sam,
We are meeting on Thursday evening, February 2, at 7:00 PM, at:

CafĆ© a la Cā€™Art
150 N. Main Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85701
(520) 628-8533

Everyone is welcome and RSVP isnā€™t necessary, but it does help me to let the restaurant better understand how many chairs to set aside for us. Please either reply to this comment, email me at obkimmer@gmail.com, or just show up and we will make room for you.

Terri,
Hopefully you can join us next year.

Everyone,
How much time in advance should notice be given? Iā€™m spontaneous, so I donā€™t normally plan things more than a few days in advance, or maybe a few weeks if Iā€™m leaving my city or country. Do most of you lean towards a month or so for travel?

Hi,
In prior years the Orchid Dinner was announced way early so all could make arrangements around it as well as preferred shows. Rioā€™s was a reliable meet and greet friends spot as well. The cross section of interests amongst Orchid members covered the gamut of shows. Not everyone qualified for AGTA. Some familiar faces/dealers, no longer participate.

If we had show dates early enough, perhaps we can put out feelers for the greatest number of attendees, insofar as an Orchid Get together.

Looking forward to next year.

Terrie

In all fairness,
This is not the same Orchid.
Sethā€™s revival of information , as well as the more direct communication methods have really moved this site forward much faster than anticipated.
I too would have liked more notice, but really acknowledge Kim for getting this one rolling.
Weā€™ll learn, and maybe there will be a dedicated section possible for future get-togethers, of any scale or location.
Vegas is coming too.
I donā€™t see why Rio canā€™t still be a meet-up place.
Theyā€™re a sponsor of Ganoksin & (possibly) Seth could ask how that might look.
It might be useful to get the cell numbers of those attending and then a group text could be sent when folks show up there, or intend to.
Mine is , 949-275-0677.
Thanks,
Hereā€™s to a successful re-birthing of the Tucson Ganoksin meet-up.
Thanks, Jim

Hi all - as Iā€™ve only recently taken over Orchid and Ganoksin, it was not my intention to organize a meet up this year. However, in future years, Iā€™ll happily take the reigns. This one is member-organized, and I sincerely hope to attend ā€“ and very much appreciate the efforts!

Seth

Iā€™m finally on vacation and out here in Tucson. Looking forward to our group meetup dinner in two evenings. See you all on Thursday evening if not sooner.

Please remember that everyone is welcome to join us.

-Kim-

Thank you to everyone for making good this such an interesting and entertaining evening. I love that our server split up our bills without even needing to ask, yet managed to keep my coffee cup and creamer full while the restaurant was slammed busy. I donā€™t know of any mistakes or mix ups either.

It sure was great to put faces with names that Iā€™ve long seen, as well as meeting a number of new, or like myself, quiet member. It was also interesting learning a little about the history of the Tucson show from a local who has been attending for many more years than I have.

One highlight of the evening for me is when Renee shared some of her quite amazing books, and another classmate of mine, Nancy, has her art was featured in one. Nancy and I are currently taking a gem ID class through our local gem club.

Also, Jim Grahl is somehow even more interesting to listen to in person than he is in reading him online here if you can believe it, so thank you for joining us Jim.

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome! I look forward to joining you guys next year!

It was truly a great evening, Kimā€¦ great restaurant choice, the food was wonderful as well as the exceptional service.
To all, thank you so much for coming and sharing an evening. Our backgrounds are all so different, yet all meshed perfectly, wrapped up in our passion for jewelry and gems.
Thanks so much for your great company. I really look forward to doing this again.
Best,
Jim

Looks like you had fun. Would it be possible to have names put to the faces so we could all ā€œmeetā€ them? Just an idea.

Thank-you Kim for organizing the Tucson Orchid Dinner and choosing a conveniently located restaurant with delicious food and superb service (CafƩ a la Carte). It was fun meeting in person the people that we read on Orchid and learning about their interesting backgrounds. Attached is another group photo, which our server took. Renee Newman, author of several gem and jewelry bookswww.reneenewman.com

Thanks for posting the photo Renee. It WAS an enjoyable evening! Dave was there - heā€™s the white-haired gentleman in the foreground who organized the first gathering nearly 20 years ago.
Judy in Kansas