I am a newbie to this list and am thankful I joined because all of
you are very helpful and informative. Even though I consider myself
more of a hobbyist than a professional, I have come across this
problem a number of times and I hope one of you can help me with it.
Many metals, with the exception of sterling silver and gold (pure
gold, not gold filled or plated), cause an allergic reaction on the
skin where the jewelry is worn. I know I get a very bad rash when I
come in contact with these metals. Even metals listed as
"hypoallergenic" or surgical steel cause these types of reactions.
Is there a certain type of metal or element in the jewelry that is
problematic? I know this isn’t a small problem from the number of
people I’ve come across who have had the same types of reactions.
Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you.