Acetylene & soot

Andrea you can switch to butane using the same regulator and hoses as well as most of the same tips (except for the multi-flame ones , for those just put a copper bezel around the tip protruding out ( towards the flame some 3mm) this way the flame won’t escape

Hi Andrea
You can’t burn acetylene without oxygen because it will give off soot. You need to have enough oxygen with it to make it burn cleaner. Propane is not as bad but even the old silversmith torches add air to get a proper flame. Oxygen or air is the key. If you want I can make a short video with my little torch if you want a demo.
Shannon

Could be your oxygen line is plugged or the torch valve isn’t working. Turn the oxygen regulator on and open the torch valve and see if oxygen is coming out.

As a welder and jeweler, the balanced flame for oxy-acetylin is very specific, easy once learned. Open the acetylene slightly and light the torch. There WILL be smoke, unburnt fuel. Open the valve until the flame “leaves” the tip (no smoke at that point) - you can see a small gap between the tip and the beginning of the flame. Slightly back off on the flame JUST until it reengages with the tip. That is the EXACT correct setting for that tip size. Then turn in the oxygen slowly. As you increase volume you will notice that the flame has three components, outer flame, middle flame, inner flame distinguished by color. Increase the oxygen until the inner flame and the middle flame merge. That’s it, a neutral flame of the correct size for that tip. If you want a bigger flame or smaller flame, use a different tip size. If you want oxidizing increase oxygen still more. If you want carburizing reduce the oxygen and tolerate some smoke.

2 Likes

If you crack the oxy valve at the same time as the acetylene you can eliminate the black “floaties”. It will take a few tries to get the right amounts. Too moch oxy and it will do a “rapid fire popping”! but it won’t hurt you. Just practice a few times and your problem will be solved. I’ve used the Smiths Little Torch oxy/acetylene for 35 or so years.