Hi! I’ve been a bench jeweler for 3 years for Walmart. We use natural gas in the shop and I have no issues with my smith little torch. I’ve recently invested in a home setup to begin making my own rings and I’ve chosen to start out with 925.
For my home setup, it was recommended to me to use an oxy/acetylene setup. I’m using the smith little torch with a size 5 tip. My psi is set to 10 on the oxygen and 4 on acetylene. Here’s my issue: if my torch is set to ball up my solder, it will not flow on my silver to save my life, my flux doesn’t really bubble up, and my ring turns black. But if I crank up the heat a bit, my solder and my ring turns black but it will flow. I’m worried when I start making prongs I won’t be able to polish out all of the oxidation in the small crevices.
I assumed there would be a learning curve going from natural gas to acetylene but I’m getting really frustrated! Should I have gone with propane?
Thanks in advance!
The Healing Jeweler LLC