A dilemma of description

I have made a few posts in this vein previously however I have a new concern that should be addressed. If I were to make a ring in .999 fine silver, solder it and thus preventing me from calling it .999 I would then Stamp it .925 to avoid confusion about the composition. I likely put something in the description of the item that it is soldered fine silver. The problem arises when it comes to the title of the item. I couldn’t call it sterling silver because it isn’t. Would it be illegal to call it fine silver in the title or only hallmark it as fine silver?

I would think it still would be .999,as the solder is just a small amount of metal holding it together.

1 Like

Also, these sorts of rules vary from country to country. Best to check with your nation’s trade department or ministry or whatever.

1 Like

I am more wondering about what I would call the item in the title, as it would wrong to call it sterling and if it is illegal to stamp it .999 it might also be illegal to describe it as .999 in the title.

This might help out.
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/08/16/2018-17454/guides-for-the-jewelry-precious-metals-and-pewter-industries

1 Like

Have you considered fusing the ring? It is a stronger bond and no solder to mess up the silver content.

This is getting minutia heavy for something to worry about. Relax! The amount of solder you will use is miniscule compared to the piece you are soldering. Now think how much of that solder is less than fine silver. If you get into the math of it you would if you wanted to calculate it fully, have a purity of approximately (I started to do the calculation but it became ridiculous) .99997 pure silver for the weight of the piece. Rounding those last two numbers up to .999 is legal.

1 Like

Even if you consider every join? If a piece weighs about 3 grams and is soldered maybe 8-12 times, each pallion might weigh 1/10 of a gram, you would have added about a gram of solder. Even if you were using sterling as solder wouldn’t that be about 0.075 grams of copper which would work out to around 98.1%.

Sorry I tend to overthink things and that does seem like an excessive amount of solder. But still.

You’re right that is an excessive amount of solder you are using.

You need to relax. Ive read all your questions. First there are no stupid questions. You were wondering about something and asked where there are people that most likely know. It gets over thought when you ask the same question in several different ways.

Again the few pallions of solder you are going to be using will have compared to the full weight of the piece, negible amounts of a different metal. My chemistry classes in college had us only figure amounts out to 4 decimles then we rounded up. Many industries do this as well.

Dont worry. You are not going to jail for stamping a piece .999 when that also assumes before you solder there might be .0004 or less impurities in it.

Sterling is .925. That is .075 that is not fine silver. That .075 in the few pallions again is negible. Rest easy and stamp away

1 Like

If you weigh a typical pallion of silver solder I think you’ll find it weighs a bit less than 0.01 gram (1/100th.) Not much to worry about there.

1 Like