QuickBooks Pro 2017 is on sale

QuickBooks Pro 2017 Desktop version is on Sale!

QuickBooks comes out with a new version every October and it sells at near full price, around $190. After the first of the year (now) it goes on sale for about a month and goes back up to it’s normal price.

Right now you can buy QUICKBOOKS PRO 2017 for $169.99 at Amazon.com.

Its $179.99 at Office Depot

With Amazon if your a Prime member it can also have free shipping.

So why should you care? Why am I writing to you? Should you BUY IT?

So here are some David Geller thoughts:

1. “If I have an older version should I upgrade to 2017?”

You don’t have to upgrade unless:

a. You download from your bank website into QuickBooks or download your credit card charges into QuickBooks or use the Payroll program inside of QuickBooks AND you have QuickBooks 2014 or older.

b. The Quickbooks company only allows you to download into QuickBooks or perform payroll within 3 years of buying it. So if you have 2014 or older then it will stop downloading after May 25th 2017. If you have QuickBooks 2015 or 2016 you’re in great shape.

1. “If I have an older version should I upgrade to 2017?”

You don’t have to upgrade unless:

a. You download from your bank website into QuickBooks or download your credit card charges or use the QuickBooks Payroll built into QuickBooks into QuickBooks AND you have QuickBooks 2014 or older. The Quickbooks company only allows you to download into QuickBooks or run their payroll within 3 years of buying it.

b. So if you have 2014 or older then it will stop downloading after May 25th 2017. If you have QuickBooks 2015 or 2016 you’re in great shape.

1. “If I have 2014, 2013 or older and don’t download will QuickBooks quit working?”

It will continue to operate just fine but you should know if you go with a computer using Windows 10 (whats being sold now) and you have QuickBooks 2015, 2015 and earlier it won’t work well, if at all and you’ll need to get QuickBooks 2017. But if you’re using Windows 7 or even XP an older version will work.

1. “If I export from The Edge or Jewelry Shopkeeper do I need to get QuickBooks Pro2017?”

No. This has nothing to do with these two programs. Only downloading from the bank, credit cards or using payroll and which Windows version you’re using.

1. “What if I want a copy of QuickBooks on more than one computer? Like the bookkeeper and the boss?”

a. Most people would like people who need to use QuickBooks to be able to have everyone able to use it at the same time. To do that every computer using Quickbooks needs it’s own license or a different box with the same year of QuickBooks.

b. It’s as simple as buying additional boxes. With Quickbooks pro you can have 3 people in the same company file at the same time in the store. You could buy three boxes of QuickBooks @ $169.99 each ($509.97). But it’s better to buy a “box of 3 users”. On Amazon you can buy a 3 user pack for $439.99 (that’s only $146.66 a user rather than $169.99).

1. “Tell me about QuickBooks Payroll”

Many people use the QuickBooks payroll program built into Quickbooks. I personally like QuickBooks online payroll better. The company "Intuit’ runs it, you go online and perform payroll. This then exports right into QuickBooks and all forms, paying taxes and such are done for you. The biggest reason I like it is after setup it’s hard to make a mistake. I see jewelers books and always see some small problem inside of QuickBooks Payroll inside of the program.

I use the online version, it’s provided for me with my Bank of America account.

But either way this is so much better than doing payroll yourself.

1. “Do I need a separate point of sale program? Can’t I just use QuickBooks?”

a. The jewelry industry is very complex and QuickBooks is for accounting while a POS program is for inventory control, tracking jobs, customer history and a host of things QuickBooks can’t do.

b. You can use QuickBooks only if you’re doing less than $300,000 a year and have less than $90,000 at cost of inventory. But then you’ll have to be a detail oriented person.

1. “Can you help me with either getting QuickBooks setup or fixing the mess I’ve made over the years?”

a. Yes that’s why I do most of my days.

b. If starting from scratch you should let me make your file for you and I’ll come through the internet, install the file in your QuickBooks and show you how to use it. If you use The Edge or Jewelry Shopkeeper I’ll merge the two programs.

c. If you are already using QuickBooks, happy to come to your computer for a short and free “Come Take a Look” and see what you’ve got and tell you how it should be corrected/fixed.

Click here to see the QuickBooks Pro 2017 link at Amazon for $169.99.

Click here to buy a 3 user pack of QuickBooks for $439.99

Before I forget I am talking about QuickBooks Pro desktop version, not the online version.If you export/post from Edge or Shopkeeper into QuickBooks (or want to) they don’t export to the online version only the desktop version. I’m not fond of the online version anyway but that’s a different subject.

If I can answer any questions, let me know.

David Geller
David@JewelerProfit.com