Article on Tool Modifications

Hi,

I’m currently working on an article on modifying bench tools for an upcoming issue of MJSA Journal, and I was hoping to pick the brains of Orchid’s resourceful bench jewelers. Have you modified common bench tools to increase their efficiency or to get them to do something they weren’t originally designed to do? If so, and you’d like to share your story with our readers, please contact me at shawna.kulpa@mjsa.org at your earliest convenience.

I look forward to hearing your stories! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Shawna Kulpa
MJSA Journal, Editor

Hi Shawna
Please “count me in” on this most serious, but so much fun topic!
Already, I have a couple of modified tools that I am thinking of!!!..
Gerry Lewy

I have modified a pair of flat nose pliers by filing a groove in the middle of each nose so that they meet to form a round groove. Very useful for working with wire. I used diamond bits to file the groove.
Irene in Perth

I will LOVE this article of it is in-depth at all! The most disappointing thing about articles I find is that they barely touch on the topics - they breeze on through it … I guess I am just hoping for an in-depth and detailed piece by which I could learn and follow on my own tools and not just have the highlights glossed over.

Or the means to find where I can learn more about it.

1 Like

So is it a groove just in the tips, or along the length or the width? Do you have a picture of it?

I have developed & created a “Right-Sided, #2 Onglette Graver” (this cuts
on one side of the blade)
that almost eliminates the need of a Flat gaver!
But where is it used? Let me just touch on the surface! How about inside
the Oval Bezel setting & can be used in Bright-Cutting a straight or curved
line, also along the inside edge of a Channel-Set ring. Not too mention
around the Gypsy/Flush setting. This essay is the epitome of modifying a
very basic graver that you can buy at any tool-supplier, anywhere and in
any country. All you do is to follow my instructions!!!
Is this article (not yet approved by Shawna) & along with numerous
photographs describes in the greatest detail how it looks, how it is
shaped, how it ‘must be modified’ on the oil-stone & lastly, how it finally
is used…You want details?
I don’t go easy on the details! This article describes it, fully!! Gerry!

Gerry Lewy

1 Like

Hi Alyssa
I just file a groove about 1cm long.could be longer if needed.willsend photos.Irene

1 Like

AlyssaKay Platinum
March 23
So is it a groove just in the tips, or along the length or the width? Do you have a picture of it?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by:

In Reply To

mrsples2
March 23
I have modified a pair of flat nose pliers by filing a groove in the middle of each nose so that they meet to form a round groove. Very useful for working with wire. I used diamond bits to file the groove. Irene in Perth
Previous Replies

AlyssaKay Platinum
March 23
I will LOVE this article of it is in-depth at all! The most disappointing thing about articles I find is that they barely touch on the topics - they breeze on through it … I guess I am just hoping for an in-depth and detailed piece by which I could learn and follow on my own tools and not just have the highlights glossed over.

Or the means to find where I can learn more about it.

mrsples2
March 23
I have modified a pair of flat nose pliers by filing a groove in the middle of each nose so that they meet to form a round groove. Very useful for working with wire. I used diamond bits to file the groove.
Irene in Perth

gerrylewy1836
March 21
Hi Shawna
Please “count me in” on this most serious, but so much fun topic!
Already, I have a couple of modified tools that I am thinking of!!!..
Gerry Lewy

ShawnaK
March 21
Hi,

I’m currently working on an article on modifying bench tools for an upcoming issue of MJSA Journal, and I was hoping to pick the brains of Orchid’s resourceful bench jewelers. Have you modified common bench tools to increase their efficiency or to get them to do something they weren’t originally designed to do? If so, and you’d like to share your story with our readers, please contact me at shawna.kulpa@mjsa.org at your earliest convenience.

I look forward to hearing your stories!

Best regards,
Shawna Kulpa
MJSA Journal, Editor

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by:

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

As I’ve read the comments it appears that this article is in print. Can we get a link to it?

Thanks.

It is not in print as of yet. But I will gladly send you a pre-amble of it. I now have 9 photographs explaining this great graver! Just send me your email address!

Gerry! from my mobile-phone!

Mr. Lewy,

I too would appreciate a copy of info regarding your new graver.

Many thanks - Bob A. DeMarcki

Gerald-
Thanks for the offer. Pls send the pre-amble to this address, info@jimcohenmetals.net.
Look forward to reading it.
Jim

Hi Gerry

Thanks for offering a sneak peak. I’d like to see what you’ve been discussing please email me on rh@rachelhearne.com. Many thanks :wink:

Hi Bob Demarki. I need your private email I can’t find it, to send you my
Graver-Modification preamble.:>( Gerry!

Gerry Lewy

I purchased one of your right angled gravels and some others some years ago. It works a treat.
Thanks Gerry for that and some of the instruction material that you also supplied
Robin in Scotland

This is a most humbling email! That is the reason why I’m doing things for everyone, so pleased for you…T.T.F.N.
For my North American friends that means " ta-ta-for-now!
Robin, send me your email I have more serious setting information for you!!

Gerry! from my mobile-phone!

Mr. Lewy,
My apology - I thought the e-mail address came through automatically. My address is bobdemarcki@aol.com
Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you.
Bob

YES Please: I also would be interested in the Article/Articles david@wascko.com , thank you much.

I too would like the instructions for the graver. I viewed some of your videos here on Ganoksin where you have used the this graver. I have tried to modify one that I have just from what I could see in the video. But I am sure instructions would be more informative. Thank you for you kind offer. jmbox@msn.com