Andy Cooperman - Flex Shaft DVD

Hi everyone. Not sure if this is okay…
I don’t think that I mentioned this here but I finished a video on the flex shaft—more specifically, my approach to the tool. I haven’t watched it myself (too neurotic) but I’ve been hearing that people are liking it and learning from it.
It’s available here:
http://www.interweavestore.com/master-the-flex-shaft-with-andy-cooperman-dvd?source=igodigital http://www.interweavestore.com/master-the-flex-shaft-with-andy-cooperman-dvd?source=igodigital

DVD or Download.

Andy Cooperman Metalsmith
andycooperman.com http://andycooperman.com/
(206) 781-0648

Hi Andy - it’s fine to post something like this, even if it is advertising a product or service, provided you think it would be of interest to the community. I simply ask that folks use discretion, and keep such things to a reasonable minimum. I think this more than qualifies as of interest to Orchidians :slight_smile:

The way to do things like this in the future is to just start a new topic as opposed to replying to another thread (don’t worry, I’ve moved this to a new topic for you already). That way we keep each thread on a specific topic, which keeps things clean and tidy.

Logging in to the forum is the only way to do that.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Seth, I did try that. I logged in but couldn’t find a tab or button for new posts. Thanks for fixing it.

I had a bit of a hard time finding it also. It’s top right.

Hi Andy!

Congratulations on making a video! :clap:

Julie

Hi Andy,

Just watched your video. It is great! My mind is popping with new ideas. Thanks for the share. I see I’ve been too timid in my approach. I do wonder though, what the life difference is between tungsten vanaddium and high-speed steel. Is it cost effective for a hobbiest?

Thanks… Linda

Thanks Linda. HSS drill bits are probably better. TV Byrd are cheaper and cut by machine. HSS Byrd are hand cut, more expensive, can vary a bit in size and are generally more coarse.
The upshot: buy TV burs (usually by 6 pack) and HSS drill bits…
A

Please excuse any typos-- curse my clumsy digits…

1 Like

Not meaning to get involved in this HSS topic, but I find HSS burs are great for the initial carving of bearings. I use them basically for engagement 4 or a 6-claw settings. I found that the cheaper carbide had their teeth too close together. My point is “hand-cut” burs might be also suitable.
I suggest to try both options!!
BTW, But for fine & thiner claws, I would stay with the smaller burs with a maximum of 3.5 mm’s in diameter. Another point, is to select a 90-degree angle bur.
Gerry! from my Toronto iPhone!
1-905-886-5961

1 Like

Another point is that the hand-made HSS bearing cutters are not too accurate in making bearings. The Carbide burs are machine made & so very thin at the “girdle, cutting-edge” The downside is with the HSS will give you an overall wide-bearing into the claw. So what would you do now?
Here is my answer; I use a #006 BUD shape bur and re-cut the bearing to be more agreeable for the girdle of the stone.
Hope my “dissertation on claws & bearings” prove to be of assistance to all…:wink:
Gerry! from my Toronto iPhone!
1-905-886-5961

Dang!! I was writing this past iPhone posting while my wife was in the
Emergency ward in our hospital…all is well, thanks!.:>)
I use ONLY the “bud-bur” to make darn sure the girdle-cutting seat is of
the ‘same width’ of the stone. BTW, do not carve into the claw beyond the
33% allowed depth. that will be another topic to discuss!!!
This bud bur allows you as well to make a horizontal & lateral cut. Round
burs do not give you that opportunity to make the cut even from one side of
the claw to the other!
The “thickness of the girdle of the stone” allows you to observe what the
actual size of the bud-bur to use!! You could use #007, I used a #006 only
as an demo-example. I’d use a 10X loupe to your prove that your decision
was correct…Diamond & Gem-Stone Setting is no easy task, agree?

*Gerry Lewy *
*Toronto. (905) 886-5961 *

I just finished watching Andy’s Flex Shaft DVDs and find the information clear, informative and entertaining. I learned many tips that I can now employ. Presently I am researching a method of hanging my flex shaft on an adjustable device. I know that both Otto Frei and Rio carry adjustable metal poles. And I remember seeing a pulley type hanger usually used for potted plants that might work very well without using any desk space. I will look further for this because I can see the advantage of varying the height above the desk of the flex shaft.

Thank you, Andy. If you produce any other DVDs about jewelry making techniques I will surely buy,

Helene Daniels, Monterey Peninsula, CA

1 Like

PS I just found and ordered a Hanging Basket Pulley (AE 402) that will ratchet up and down holding from 4 lbs to 24 lbs from a hook in the ceiling. It is $15.95 from Lee Valley. I think this will be just the thing to make my flex shaft adjustable with ease.

Helene

1 Like

Thanks! So glad that you liked it!

Helene,

I agree that Andy Cooperman’s Flex Shaft videos are wonderful! I have the video download versions and have watched them three or four times in the last few months and plan on more viewings. So much information! (And one of the few places with in-depth info about the hammer handpiece.) Thank you, Andy!

A few years ago I watched one of Nancy LT Hamilton’s Youtube videos on how her studio was set up – her videos are great fun and have a lot of good practical info – and this one showed (iirc) her pendant motors hanging from the ceiling with bungee cords. Haven’t tried it myself, but it looked like an interesting way to keep things out of the way when you don’t need them and easily accessible for when you do.

2 Likes

Much appreciated!